The Hobble Creek Half Marathon was Saturday, August 22. And we did it! I ran this last year with a time of 2 hours and 10 minutes. I vowed I'd never run it again. My knees were in excruciating pain and I literally did not run again from that day until March or April of this year! Well, I decided to sign up again and this time I made my friend, Julie do it with me. (James ran it again as well, but he's too fast for me--not like having a running buddy!) Our goal was to run it in 2 hrs and 10 min again knowing that was just under a 10 minute mile pace. But we decided we would be ok with 2 hrs 20 min. Well we ended up doing it in under 2:10. Julie sprinted the last half mile. She was a superstar, and finished in 2:08. I just couldn't find it in me to give it any more oomph than I was already squeezing out, and finished in 2:09. I still beat my last year's time by a minute and I'm THRILLED! I know it's only a minute but it seems like eternity when you are running! :) I loved training and running with Julie. I know those last 4 miles I held her back (though she won't admit it), but I was having a tough time. I wore my knee support braces and my knees did not hurt once! I never had to stop for the bathroom either which I was worried about. I just got to the point where mentally I wanted to walk. But I didn't. I kept going. Julie and I pushed each other and we made it! I only ended up with a couple of blisters and my calf muscles were a little sore, but overall, feel great! It is such an amazing and empowering thing to accomplish. Unlike last year, this time was a little more motivating. Instead of never wanting to run again (which is how I felt last time), this year I'm excited to train and try out different half marathons. I don't think I will ever do a Marathon (I'm not THAT motivated), but maybe the Disneyland Half, or the Moab Half, or the Provo River Half, or the Mapleton Midnight Half. Anyway, don't know what I'll sign up for, but am excited to keep running! And that's probably a good thing since I have our Red Rock Relay next week in Southern Utah! Can't wait!
Julie and I(And yes I look dead in all these pictures. Hmm. Wonder why.)
James and I after the race. James by the way makes me so mad! I've been training like crazy and barely finished. He has only been running on weekends, sometimes skipping a couple weeks at a time, and still finished in 1:51! How does he do that?It really doesn't seem fair. And it's so dang irritating!


You guys are amazing! I am so proud of you. I wish I could have done it with you...but well...maybe next year.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys. Can't wait for next weekend!
You two are total ROCK STARS!!!!!!!!!! I am SO doing this race with you next year... especially now that I know you have to sign up for it early! Thanks for letting me train with you guys every once in a while. I love running with you and Julie and I also CAN'T WAIT until next weekend! Woohoo!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I wish I could get into running- I know it would be really good for me,but I have a hard time finding the motivation.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post on my blog. And it was blissfull...seeing Jeff in his BYU garb, walking proudly out of Dallas stadium, into a sea of red OU shirted fans. :) I'm proud of you for completing the HC 1/2. I'm jealous....it's one of my favorites. I guess we'll see you guys in St. George for the Marathon? Hope so!
ReplyDeleteAgain congrats, and Ilove the pics of you.
ps. Don't feel bad about going back to bed on the first day of school. I usually take what's supposed to be the "first day of school" pics on the second or third day of school, simply because the morning of the first day seems to be a bit crazy. No one ever knows, but even if they did....I don't
care. In the end, do what works for you. You amaze me with all you've accomplished over the past couple years...you deserved to go home and get back into bed. Nice!